The beauty of a just-out-of-the-oven scone cannot be understated, because it's just pretty, warm and wonderful! So without further ado, here's my original recipe:
Organic Blueberry Orange Walnut Scones
Ingredients:3 cups pastry flour + 1/4 cup
1/4 cup stevia (equivalent volume-for-volume to sugar)
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup softened butter, organic
3 tsp tangerine peel, shredded + 1/4 tsp tangerine juice (organic)
3/4 cup frozen blueberries, organic
1/2 cup walnut pieces, organic
1/2 cup + 2 tsp milk, organic
2 eggs, organic
1 tbsp stevia powder (equivalent volume-for-volume to sugar)
Batter Prep:1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Using parchment paper, line a cookie sheet or broiler grill.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and sift. Add butter and mix until a crumbly dough forms. 3. Add orange rind, juice, berries, walnuts, 1/2 cup milk and eggs.
4. Mix it until a sticky dough forms, using care not to overmix.
Dough Prep:1. Add 1/4 cup flour to top of round.
2. Use flour-coated hands to shape into an oblong round about 1-1/2" thick, using another 1/4-1/2 cup to form.
3. Cut into strips and divide into thirds (see photo). The strips will bake together, so it is okay to widen the distance between doughs a touch, if you would like.
4. Brush the top with remaining 2 tsp milk. Sprinkle with stevia granules.
Bake:Bake 17-21 minutes, until corners are browned. Makes 15 scones.
Serve:Serve warm fresh out of oven, together with a cup of coffee or tea - sure to be a morning hit! Be certain to serve with coffee, tea, or milk, because all scones are made to accompany a drink, as they are naturally drier than a muffin.
This article was previously published on The Chronic Life Diet by Dr. Margaret Aranda.