Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Age 15: The Next Thing I Remember


A Fiction Story by Dr. Margaret Aranda

This is Day 15 of the October Memoir and Backstory Blog Challenge, which is something about a 15 year old.  To catch more on this, please visit  Jane Ann McLachlan.  To start reading Articles from Age 1, Please Click Here: Age 1: Sitting on the Edge
________________



It was Mindy Abrahm's fault.

We were getting dressed at her house.  We were all going to go to the Saturday night "50's Dance" at High School.  Mindy said, "Hey, you need to drink some vodka before we go to the dance."  I had never even tasted vodka before.  Mindy mixed it with orange juice, and I had no idea this was called a Screwdriver.  She handed me the glass.  I looked at it.

I was weak.  I didn't want her to think that I was weak.  Slowly, I drank it.  It smelled slightly, but the vodka was drowned out by the orange juice.  The drink was cold, fruity, and wala!  Down it went almost like it was nothing but orange juice.



By the time I finished the glass, she poured me another.  I lost my mind.  I didn't know what I was doing nor did I know what was happening around me.  And by the time I finished the second glass, she poured me another.  Again.  Over and over this ritual continued, until I finished a whole quart of vodka.    I don't remember the last drink.  In fact, I don't remember anything past the first drink.

I don't remember getting in the car.  I don't remember driving to the High School.  I don't remember anything except this, which I do remember quite clearly:

The next thing I remember, I was sitting with Mindy and my other three friends.  We were sitting up on the gym seats in this huge wooden-paneled auditorium, looking down below and to our left, where the band was.  I remember a man playing a guitar.  There were two of him. Come to think of it, there were two of everybody."

"There's two of everybody."

This news apparently spread by wildfire to my friends sitting next to me, then to my friend's friends, then to who knows who.

Flash Forward and the next thing I remember, I was walking down a plain beige school corridor outside in the dark.  One of the Nuns was yelling at me.  I thought maybe she was yelling at me because I wasn't walking straight, but honestly, I was sleepy.  I just wanted to sleep.

Another Flash Forward, and the next thing I remember was in the Emergency Room.  I was a Patient.  I only remember talking to my Father on the phone.  Somehow, I was talking to my Father and he was asking me what I had, what I took, what I drank, anything.  He was mad at me, so I lied.  I told him I didn't take anything and that I was perfectly fine.

They drew my blood.  They took me home.  I didn't throw up.  I slept.

I didn't have a hangover when I woke up, but the white cotton ball and tape were still hanging onto my left arm.  My Father called and said, "You had a lot of alcohol in your blood.  Where did you get it?"  I told him the truth, and I was starting to feel like I shouldn't have let Mindy give me all those glasses of vodka. I was grounded.

I never drank a bunch of vodka again.  I stopped drinking for a long time.

The next thing I remember, I got kicked out of High School.

________________________


To Order Dr. Aranda's books, please click here:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Margaret Aranda's Books:

No More Tears en Espanol
Face Book Page: Stepping from the Edge
Little Missy Two-Shoes Likes to go to School
From Menarche to Menopause: A Journey through Time



To Order Dr. Aranda's books, please click here:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Additional Memoirs by Dr. Margaret Aranda, Please Click Here:

Age 31: The Color Blue


__________________________
Additional Articles by Dr. Margaret Aranda

Medical Disclaimer: Nothing on this website is meant to diagnose, treat, or practice medicine. You must be seen in person by a physician for appropriate and individual medical treatment. If you have an emergency, call 9-1-1 in the USA.

Link Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any links that go outside of this website.

Full Disclosure: Margaret A. Ferrante, M.D.  is an Institute Physician with Cenegenics Medical Institute.  She receives no monetary compensation for hosting this website you are on, which is independent and not affiliated with Cenegenics. The information presented is for education and awareness.  Dr. Ferrante currently sees patients out of the Cenegenics office in Beverly Hills, CA. 
To book an appointment for a free Consultation, please email her at: mferrante@cenegenics.com






4 comments:

  1. What an honest post! It could be the story of many 15-year-olds. I'm so glad you came through it with nothing worse than being grounded. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it probably has happened to many kids just like in the story.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Yep, screwdrivers can do that to you.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Matters to Me! Thanks for your Time and Muaaah!

WITHDRAWAL OF OPIOIDS AND PAIN MANAGEMENT WITHOUT OPIOIDS By Dr Forest Tennant   We are pleased to share information from Dr. Forest Ten...